Salute to Sole
Salute to Sole
Sole (pronounced sol-ay) is water saturated with dissolved himalayan rock salt. Himalayan salt is mined from the Khewra Salt Mine, located near the Himalayas in Pakistan. The salt is mined using traditional hand methods. Its soft pink color is due to the trace minerals such as iron inside the salt.
The majority of himalayan pink salt is composed of sodium chloride, and the other 2-3% is composed of trace minerals. Himalayan salt contains up to 84 different trace minerals including: calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, chromium, etc.
On average, most people who consume a standard American diet are meeting or exceeding their sodium intake for the day. It’s estimated 90% of Americans age 2 or older consume too much sodium, so why add more? One teaspoon of sole contains 480 mg of sodium, or roughly 20% of your daily recommended sodium intake. Ideally, sole is added to a well-balanced diet focused on vegetables, fruits, proteins, and healthy fats, thus limiting sodium exposure.
The potential benefits of sole include adding electrolytes to your lifestyle which may increase energy. Sole as a daily practice may also improve digestion, assist in detox and pH balance, improve bone health, or even balance blood sugar. Research on sole and himalayan salt in general is sparse, so more studies need to be done.
- Glass jar (mason jar works well)
- Plastic or cork lid (metal lids get corroded from the salt)
- Himalayan salt chunks
- Add salt chunks into the glass jar, filling half to three-quarters full.
- Pour purified water over the salt. Place the lid on the jar and cover.
- Let sit for 24 hours.
- Take 1/4 teaspoon of sole water and add it to an 8 oz glass of water first thing in the morning for best effect. You may also add a drop or two to your water bottle to sip on during the day.
For more information, consider reading Water and Salt: The Essence of Life by Dr. Barbara Hendel.
Love this blog? Click HERE to read more!
600 W. Emma St.
Lafayette, CO 80026
Monday - Thursday
8:30 am - 5:00 pm