Chocolate Glazed Peppermint Brownies Recipe – Vegan, Gluten Free, Keto
Chocolate Glazed Peppermint Brownies Recipe
These treats are perfect for the winter months and best of all, you can use up some of those pesky peppermint candy canes left over from the holidays! Topped with chocolate drizzle and crushed candy canes for the perfect combination of chocolatey goodness, these gluten-free brownies have a cool, refreshing bite that only peppermint can provide. Instructions include easy substitutions to make these delicious chocolate glazed peppermint brownies vegan, keto, or both!
Prep: 30 mins Cook: 25 mins Total: 55 mins Servings: 16 Yield: 16 brownies
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (or sugar substitute for keto)
- 3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour (you can also obtain excellent ketogenic flour, the measurements are the same)
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your flour blend contains it)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 large eggs (cold) (or 1/4c of egg substitute for each egg you replace)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold (or use a butter substitute, like Earth Balance)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons butter (or butter substitute, as above. You may need to use 4 tablespoons if you substitute)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar (or favorite sugar substitute, like monk fruit, for keto. Simply put it in a food processor or blender and pulse it into a fine powder)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons hot water, divided
- Candy canes (optional)
Instructions for Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a 9 inch square pan (must be at least 2 inches in depth).
- In a microwave-safe bowl or saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, and salt. Using medium heat, stir the mixture until the batter melts and lightens in color.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl if you heated it on the stove; otherwise leave everything together in the microwave-safe bowl. Add cocoa, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and eggs. Beat until the mixture is nice and shiny.
- Fold in flour, xanthan gum, and baking powder.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly.
- Allow the brownies to bake for 32 to 36 minutes, until the top of the brownies appears set. Use a cake tester or a toothpick to verify; the toothpick should come out clean when poked into the center of the pan, or with just a small touch of chocolate on the tip if you like them to be less cakelike.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before topping with glaze.
Instructions for Chocolate Glaze
- Melt cocoa and butter together in a small saucepan over low heat, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract. Stir in hot water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the glaze is thick and smooth.
- Pour glaze evenly over brownies. While still warm, crush the candy canes in a plastic food storage bag with a rolling pin and sprinkle broken pieces on top of brownies.
- Cut brownies into squares and serve.
- If you are gluten-free, verify all of the ingredients. Many baking ingredients can be a source of gluten many are not aware of.
- These brownies can easily be made dairy-free. All you need to do is substitute your favorite vegan butter for the dairy butter listed in the recipe.
Love this Recipe? See all of our recipes HERE!
600 W. Emma St.
Lafayette, CO 80026
Monday - Thursday
8:30 am - 5:00 pm