PureNews – February 2024
I hope you are doing well in these deep winter months. It is a time of year when so many of us have colds or are feeling a bit under the weather. There is so much we can do to stay healthy during this season even when it seems everyone around us is hacking and coughing. My first suggestion is to pay attention to our bodies natural circadian rhythm and follow it the best we can. This means that we need to go to bed and wake up roughly at the same time each day. It is also helpful in the morning to get a few minutes of outdoor fresh air, even if it is cold. You don’t have to be out long, 5 minutes even, what this will do is stimulate your hormones that are active in the day to keep your body in perfect balance. It is also important to eat a nutrient dense diet, the better our nutrition, the better our bodies function the more we prevent illness. What does this mean exactly? Well there is no one way for everyone, frustrating I know… So lets start with this: eat at least 40 grams of fiber in your diet each day. If you have a high fiber diet I know you are naturally getting a lot of antioxidants and nutrients to fuel your body. Did you know that on top of adding incredible nutrients to your body if you are trying to loose weight the single most effective way to do so is with a high fiber diet? This is because 10-20% of the calories in a high fiber food are not available for you to to consume AND fiber binds to many other things in your GI track aiding in detoxification and ridding your body of potential excess calories eaten elsewhere. Also to boost your immune system is to stay active, exercise and move your body in ways that you love. There is always supplementation. I have posted this before and will post it here again:
Immune Protocol for General Prevention
- Zinc – 30 MG (take with food but not grains, nuts, seeds or legumes).
- Vitamin C 1000 MG of Vitamin
- Vitamin D – 6,000 IU for 5 days.
Immune Protocol if you feel you are getting sick – Child:
If you feel you are getting sick:
- Vitamin A – 50,000 per day. Take for 5 days ONLY. DO NOT TAKE LONGER and DO NOT TAKE IF PREGNANT
- Zinc – 19 mgs daily for 5 days (take with food but not grains, nuts, seeds or legumes). NOTE Zinc can make some kids nauseous if that happens stop the zinc.
- Vitamin C 1000-3000 MG of Vitamin C OR to bowel tolerance (if you get diarrhea you have taken too much). Do this for 5 days.
- Vitamin D – 10,000 IU for 5 days
- Aconite 30c pellet three times a day on day on then daily for 5 days unless instructed to do something different.
Immune Protocol if you feel you are getting sick – Adult:
If you feel you are getting sick:
- Vitamin A – 100,000 per day. Take for 5 days ONLY. DO NOT TAKE LONGER and DO NOT TAKE IF PREGNANT
- Zinc – 50 mgs daily for 5 days (take with food but not grains, nuts, seeds or legumes).
- Vitamin C 2000-4000 MG of Vitamin C OR to bowel tolerance (if you get diarrhea you have taken too much). Do this for 5 days.
- Vitamin D – 10,000 IU for 5 days
- Aconite 30c pellet three times a day on day on then daily for 5 days unless instructed to do something different
Viricid: Feeling run down or around a lot of sick people: 2 caps daily Feeling a cold coming on: 2 caps every 2 hours until feel better or until day is over. You know you are getting sick: 2 caps every hour for the day and then the next day every 1-2 hours depending on how you fee. Then as you feel better lower the dose.
If you are traveling On the day you are traveling do the following: 100,000 IU vitamin A x 1 days 30-50 grams Zinc (take with food) x 1 days 3 gram vitamin C x 1 days (if causes diarrhea then cut dose in half) 5,000 IU vitamin D x 1 days. Aconite 30c 1pellet daily for 1 days.
If you want to order any of the above listed supplements, you can call our office or you can order it on our online store at https://us.fullscript.com/welcome/purehomeopathy/store-start
There is much to do to care for yourself I hope some of these tips were helpful! Let us know if you need anything or have any questions!
Did I mention that people are coughing and hacking all over the place right now? There are many possible homeopathic medicines to use but for today I am going to introduce you to Rumex. Rumex has a violent incessant dry cough. The cough gets worrse with the least cold air, so much so that this person coughing, will naturally try to keep their mouth covered to protect themselves from the cold air. They will likely not acknowledge that this is what they are doing, mostly because we are not trained to pay attention to our modalities (what makes us better or worse). This means we have to observe. Because of the sensitivity to cold you will also observe they cough more when they are outside or if they just came inside from the cold air. The cough is so constant it makes the person very tired. It is very dry so not much will come up. There is a peculiar symptom of a sensation of “something” in their throat that they cant get up, it tickles them and causes them to cough even more. This tickle may drive them crazy, this means that this poor person is all ready super annoyed that they are coughing so much, then there is a constant tickle and then the are exhausted…you can imagine their mood…yikes! So if you see this kind of cough, Rumex will come to the rescue!
How do you take a homeopathic medicine in an acute situation?
If you have these remedies on hand it is my preference to have them in 200c potencies. However, in an emergency I will take whatever I can get, often 30c potencies are what you can find over the counter. In general, if there is an acute situation, I encourage you to take one pellet every 15 minutes for an hour then as needed after depending on what your symptoms. If you are better than no new medicine is needed. If you are still experiencing pain and had relief when you took the homeopathic medicine, then redose as you need to when the pain returns. If you have taken a remedy every 15 minutes for an hour with no relief then it is unlikely that remedy will be helpful for you. There are many different case scenarios and if something is more severe where you think there needs to be a change or if something is not working as you think you should, then we recommend you reach out to us or your homeopath for advice.
February Blog Feature
You’d probably never guess that a pair of wet socks could pull congestion from your head and stimulate your immune system. Sounds like hocus-pocus promoted by a traveling charlatan, right?
Historically, this hydrotherapy was called “Wet Sock Therapy.” At some point, a marketing savvy naturopath explained to young patients that the overnight drying of the socks was a “healing magic trick” and the name quickly evolved into “Magic Socks.” Kids love it and it actually does work like magic to arrest the onset of mild colds and flus. Here’s how:
When covered (insulated) with wool, damp socks draw congestion from the head and work overnight to stimulate systemic circulation. This treatment reflexively decreases congestion in the upper respiratory passages, head, and throat.
The socks will dry overnight as the body brings warm, fresh blood to the feet. This, in turn, invigorates the immune system and helps fend off acute illness. Magic Socks can be used nightly when any concern exists about the onset of an acute infection or illness and with any ongoing insomnia.
For best results repeat treatment for three nights in a row or as instructed by your doctor. If you develop a loss of sensation in your feet while using Magic Socks, remove the socks and check in with your doctor. Do not use this therapy with any condition that has resulted in loss of sensation or circulation to the feet unless first consulting with your doctor.
Make a Pair of Magic (Wet) Socks
- Before bed, wet a pair of thin, cotton anklets in cold water.
- Wring out excess water and place in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- Put the socks on your feet.
- Pull a pair of heavy wool socks over the anklets and climb into bed.
- Cover well; sleep all night with the socks on.
Vegan White Chocolate Fondue Recipe
This vegan white chocolate fondue recipe is great and can be made without the use of a fondue pot. This recipe is wonderful for a date night, or it can be fun for the whole family. It’s simple and easy to make, so why not just try it both ways?
Prep: 20 Min. Total: 20 Min. Servings: 8
- 10 ounces chopped vegan white chocolate
- 1/3 cup vegan milk (almond, coconut, cashew, etc.)
- 1/3 cup vegan heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, on low heat, combine the chocolate, milk and cream. Stir often, until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is glossy and smooth. DO NOT BOIL.
- Next, stir in the vanilla extract. The fondue will likely be fairly thick. If you want a thinner consistency, whisk in additional heavy cream or milk until you reach a thickness you like.
- Pour the mixture into a small slow cooker to keep warm while serving.
- Serve with foods of your choice for dipping, such as strawberries, bananas, small rice krispie squares, vanilla cookies, etc.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator and reheat when desired.
- Brands of Chocolate: Choose your chocolate carefully. Not all chocolate melts well. Ghirardelli’s chips work great, but Nestle chips don’t melt. Higher-end chocolate chips seem to be the key!
- Chocolate Adjustments: you may substitute any chocolate you prefer, or dairy items, but we prefer the vegan options. If you change the type of chocolate hold off on the heavy cream until you see the consistency once it melts. Thicker chocolates need a bit more cream, thinner chocolates (like milk chocolate) do not need as much cream, if any.
- Extract: Feel free to change the flavor by experimenting with different extracts. You may want to consider orange or peppermint extract to change the flavor of your fondue.
Interested in Become a Patient?
Thanks so much for your interest in Pure Homeopathy! We are a naturopathic team of homeopathy experts, offering virtual care around the globe. We also offer a variety of supportive health services at our clinic in Lafayette, Colorado.
Are you interested in becoming a patient? Book a complimentary call with one of our doctors. You can do this by calling 303-665-2423. Our team will answer all your questions and get you scheduled for the service that makes sense to you. We can’t wait to support you with natural approaches that address the root cause and get you to feel better and stay there.
We can’t wait to help get you whole healthcare for life!
Thank You For Your Sharing!
It is because of you that this practice is successful. I would appreciate it if you could forward this newsletter to anyone you feel would be interested!I would also like to thank you very much for all of the referrals that you have given me.
Your pets can benefit from holistic healthcare too!
Learn how holistic care and conventional veterinary medicine can work together, with a Premium or All Access membership to Holistic Actions!
For less than a bag of conventional pet food per month, you can learn to foster a healthier, happier lifestyle for your pets.
600 W. Emma St.
Lafayette, CO 80026
Monday - Thursday
8:30 am - 5:00 pm